In honor of the holiday, here is my favorite berry pie recipe! It calls for strawberries, but you can pretty much substitute any berry or combination of berries and get a fabulous result!
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a drip pan on lowest shelf to catch pie juices.
2. Topping: In a medium bowl, mix until fluffy the 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour, butter, and nutmeg.
3. Place cleaned strawberries in a deep bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and cornstarch. Gently coat berries with this mixture; be careful not to crush berries.
4. Pour berries into prepared pie crust mounding them in the middle; mounding is necessary as the berries will sink as they bake. Cover berries with crumb topping and top crumbs with about 15 pea-sized blobs of butter. Wrap edges of pie crust with foil to prevent burning.
5. Bake pie in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 40 minutes. When there are 10 minutes left of baking, sprinkle a little extra sugar over crumb topping and then finish baking.
Have a great holiday!